Reboot

16 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ccrisafulli)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Mark

Ive noticed this a couple of times. I have the Pi Zero and the have it turn off the LEDs at night, and after a couple of days, the system reboots, and sometimes eveb gets a new IP address. (though I don't think this is related)

Since I don't have LiveSectional come on after boot, it just sits and waits for me.

Here is my latest log file. Is there anything you might be able to see to help determine the reboots. I was thinking of turning off the Sleep timer and see if there is any difference when it just stays on. I could monitor the temperature, I don't have the Pi in a case, should be able to get enough cooling. I did build a little Circuit board for the level shifter that sandwiches on top, but plenty of airflow. This is a fresh install, haven't made any major changes other than a couple of settings.

Thanks

Chuck

Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

I see a few days ago the unit was shut down a few times using shutdown.py. But this would only occur if you commanded it through the web interface or through the pushbutton (if installed). Over the last few days, the log looks pretty normal. Can you give me a little more info about what is going on? I don't see anything that I would consider out of the ordinary. But maybe with more info I could figure something out. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@ccrisafulli)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

@markyharris

thanks for looking at the file.  I’m trying another test and turned off the sleep function and see if that makes any difference.  I’ll let you know. 

ReplyQuote
(@ccrisafulli)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  
screen shot 12182020

@markyharris

Mark

I turned off sleep timer and it ran for several more days, but I woke up this morning and all the LEDs are off, the screen is attached and the log file. I wanted to send it to you before I rebooted.

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Thanks. For some reason your RPI is either unable to get on the internet or the FAA site is rejecting the request. You can help diagnose this by copying the URL (from your logfile);

https://www.aviationweather.gov/adds/dataserver_current/httpparam?dataSource=metars&requestType=retrieve&format=xml&mostRecentForEachStation=constraint&hoursBeforeNow=1&stationString=KSAT,KHOU,KOLS,KCRP,KBRO,KIAH,KELP,KODO,KABI,KTUS,KLFT,KMSY,KBTR,KFTW,KSHV,KLBB,KMOB,KPNS,KJAN,KAMA,KOKC,KLIT,KMEM,KMYF,KSPG,KTLH,KBHM,KTUL,KXNA,KJAX,KSAV,KHSV,KATL,KMIA,KSGF,KPBI,KMCO,KEYW,KBNA,KCHA,KTYS,KAVL,KGSP,KCAE,KCHS,KCLT,KMYR,KFAY,KGSO,KRDU,KEVV,KSDF,KLEX,KLWB,KLYH,KCMH,KCLE,KPIT,KBUF,KRIC,KORF,KDCA,KROC,KBWI,KABE,KPHL,KACY,KSYR,KEWR,KALB,KJFK,KBDL,KPVD,KBOS,KMHT,KBGR,KPWM,KBTV,KFVE,KCVG,KDAY,KIND,KFWA,KDTW,KSBN,KFNT,KGRR,KSTL,KSPI,KPIA,KORD,KMLI,KMKE,K83D,KMCI,KMSN,KGRB,KCID,KDSM,KCKC,KASX,KMSP,KJMS,KOMA,KMHE,KBIS,KLNK,KPIR,KICT,KRAP,KECS,KLAA,KCYS,KCPR,KDEN,KMOT,KCOS,KBIL,KHDN,KMTJ,K46U,KGPI,KMSO,KGGW,KHVR,KCOE,KGEG,KAFO,KLGU,KSLC,KPSC,KONO,KBOI,KBNO,KPDX,KBAM,KAST,KTMK,KOTH,KNUW,KSEA,KAAT,KCEC,KACV,KRNO,KSMF,KSFO,KMRY,KFAT,KFMN,KBCE,KPGA,KABQ,KFLG,KSJN,KPRC,KLAS,KIGM,KHII,KPHX,KONT,KLAX,KSBA,KNYL,KSAN,KTYL

And pasting it directly into the browser's address bar. It should return a bunch of XML formatted data about the airports. If it does then at least we know its not the FAA's site causing problems. The next step is to check to see if your RPi is having an issue reaching the internet. May need to check to see if the router is blocking the RPi for some reason. For instance many routers have the ability to schedule when the internet is turned on/off. 

If rebooting the RPi makes it start accessing the internet again, maybe the router is providing a new IP address which is not getting blocked. (I'm just thinking out loud here). 

It doesn't seem to be an issue with the software, but if you think that it is, please try to get me more info and I'll do my best to help fix it. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@ccrisafulli)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

@markyharris

Mark

Well, the link you sent works fine. After playing with it for a bit, all I did was "Turn Map On" and it is working. Maybe the Pi rebooted for some reason and since I don't have Auto Run on Reboot set to off, it was just sitting there?

Was that screen shot normal? I thought when it reboots, it doesn't scroll data on the screen.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

No, the screen shot was not normal. The software tests to see if it has access to the internet/FAA site and if it can't reach it it then throws a warning message that you see on your screen shot, then it waits 5 seconds and then loops back through. It will stay in this loop until it gets access to the internet/FAA site and this is what the screen shot and your logfile show. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@ccrisafulli)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

@markyharris

That's interesting. I didn't have to reboot, I just clicked on the Menu option to Turn Map on and it resumed as normal and has been running fine.

ReplyQuote
(@ccrisafulli)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

@markyharris

Mark

I'm still having this issue. It's very odd. Everything runs great for about a week, then in the morning, I look at LEDs and they are all off. The screen is the same as the one I sent you, and all I need to do to get it working again is Turn Map On from the menu.

Any ideas on what would cause it, especially on a regular basis? I'll attach my log file.

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

The FAA is refusing the request for the updated weather for some reason. How often are you updating the FAA weather? Early on we had problems where the site would refuse requests that were occurring too often. So I'm wondering if this is happening to you. Then when you 'Turn Map On' its sending a newly formatted request and the FAA accepts it. So look at your update time and let me know what it is or change it 15 minutes and see what happens. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@ccrisafulli)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

@markyharris

I have it set for every 10 minutes. I'll change it to 15 and see what happens.

thanks

ReplyQuote
(@vancek)

Hey Mark,

FWIW, I have the same issue.  Happens kind of randomly.  Sometimes it will fix itself, but if I want it fixed, I do the same as Chuck and just 'Turn Map On' and it fixes it 100% of the time.  I believe my update interval is default at 15 minutes.

I haven't bothered trying to troubleshoot it, but can collect logs if it would be helpful.  I'm not in the office much the last couple months, but when I was there almost every day, I'd say I would come in to a blank map about once a week.

I don't believe it is a connectivity issue directly.  I have my map isolated on a dmz network with no access from the lan.  I access it using dataplicity, which tunnels my access from my PC out to the cloud and back into the Pi.  No Internet, no access to the Pi for me.

Thanks!
Vance

ReplyQuote
(@vancek)

One more update.  I came in this morning and it was hung up.  I had forgotten that sometimes when it 'locks up' so to speak, it does it with the lights on.  In this case, the lights were on but no blinks and they were also stuck in dim mode.  I'm hypothesizing that when this happened this time, it happened after it got dark but before the map went to sleep for the night, so it was probably stuck for 12 hours or more, possibly days.

Attached is the log that shows it retrying every 10 seconds with an Internet NOT Available response.  Then stop and start map command execution which successfully connects and get the data on the first try.

Thanks!

Vance

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Vance, I've not experienced this. So this is perplexing to me. I'll be issuing an update in the next week or so and I'm hoping that what ever is causing this is corrected. Since I'm not seeing this and all my maps run the latest version I'm hopeful that it will be corrected with the update. But we'll see. 

For now, do me a favor. Next time this happens and while its happening please copy and paste this into another web browser on the same local network as the map and see if the FAA provides the xml data response or not;

https://www.aviationweather.gov/adds/dataserver_current/httpparam?dataSource=metars&requestType=retrieve&format=xml&mostRecentForEachStation=constraint&hoursBeforeNow=2.5&stationString=KSAN,KPSP,KLAX,KSMX,KPRB,KMRY,KSFO,KAPC,KSMF,KTVL,KRNO,KCIC,KRDD,KACV,KLKV,KMFR,KOTH,KEUG,KBDN,KDLS,KPDX,KSEA,KUIL,KNUW,KOMK,KGEG,KPSC,KLWS,KBKE,KGCD,KBNO,KBOI,KTWF,KEKO,KWMC,KTMT,KTPH,KMMH,KFAT,KNID,KLAS,KIGM,KBLH,KNYL,KPHX,KTUS,KFHU,KSAD,KSOW,KFLG,KGCN,KPGA,KCDC,KELY,KPVU,KSLC,KRKS,KJAC,KIDA,KSMN,KMSO,KGPI,KHVR,KGTF,KLWT,KBZN,KBIL,KCOD,KGCC,KCPR,KCYS,KFNL,KGNB,KSBS,KEGE,KGJT,KCNY,KMTJ,KTEX,KPSO,KDRO,KFMN,KGUP,KGNT,KAEG,KSAF,KABQ,KONM,KTCS,KSVC,KELP,KCNM,KROW,KSRR,KCVN,KTCC,KLVS,KRTN,KSKX,KSKX,KALS,KTAD,KPUB,KCOS,KAEJ,KASE,KLXV,KAPA,KLIC,KDEN,KOGA,KBFF,KVTN,KRAP,KHEI,KGDV,KGGW,KMOT,KBIS,KFAR,KABR,KFSD,KSUX,KOMA,KGRI,KOEL,KGCK,KLBL,KDHT,KAMA,KLBB,KABI,KMAF,KFST,KPRS,KDLF,KCZT,KLRD,KHRL,KBRO,KCRP,KSAT,KAUS,KHOU,KIAH,KDAL,KDFW,KOKC,KWDG,KTUL,KXNA,KSGF,KICT,KSLN,KTOP,KMKC,KMCI,KIRK,KDSM,KCID,KDBQ,KRST,KMSP,KRCX,KDLH,KINL,KCKC,KCMX,KESC,KOSH,KMKE,KRFD,KORD,KPIA,KCMI,KSPI,KSTL,KEVV,KPOF,KMEM,KLIT,KRKR,KSHV,KAEX,KJAN,KMSY,KMOB,KMGM,KBHM,KTUP,KBNA,KSDF,KCVG,KIND,KDAY,KFWA,KSBN,KGRR,KTVC,KANJ,KOSC,KMBS,KLAN,KDTW,KTOL,KCLE,KBUF,KBFD,KPIT,KCAK,KCMH,KCKB,KCRW,KROA,KJKL,KTYS,KGSP,KATL,KABY,KTLH,KTPA,KPBI,KEYW,KMIA,KMCO,KSFB,KJAX,KSAV,KCHS,KCAE,KCLT,KILM,KRDU,KMQI,KORF,KRIC,KCHO,KDCA,KBWI,KPHL,KMDT,KAVP,KJFK,KBDL,KPVD,KMVY,KBOS,KALB,KSYR,KBTV,KPWM,KBGR,KHUL,KCLM,KNOW,KNUW,KBVS,KAWO,KPAE,KBFI,KRNT,KSEA,KTIW,KPLU,KTCM,KGRF,KOLM,KSHN,KHQM,KDVO,KCCR,KOAK,KHWD,KLVK,KTCY,KRHV,KSJC,KNUO,KPAO,KSQL,KSFO,KHAF,KNUC,KAVX,KSNA,KFUL,KSLI,KLGB,KHHR,KCPM,KLAX,KKVN,KBUR,KEMT,KCNO,KPOC,KCCB,KWVI,KONT,KRAL,KSBD,KRIV,KHMT,KNFG,KOKB,KCRQ,KNKX,KMYE,KNAS,KSAN,KSEE,KRNM,KGXF,KAVQ,KBXK,KLUF,KGYR,KGEU,KPHX,KCHD,KCGZ,KIWA,KFFZ,KSDL,KDVT,KBRG,KABQ,KAEG,KSAF,KLAM,KAPA,KBKF,KCFO,KDEN,KBJC,KEIK,KBDU,KLMO,KFNL,KGXY,KFMM,KRFD,KJUL,KBUU,KMKE,KRAC,KENW,KUGN,KPWK,KORD,KMDW,KGYY,KUPZ,KIGO,KJOT,KLOT,KDPA,KARR,KDKB,KRPJ,KLIC,KUYS,KMGS,KSWF,KPOU,KDXR,KOXC,KMMK,KSNC,KHVN,KBDR,KFOK,KHWV,KISP,KFRG,KJFK,KLGA,KHPN,KTEB,KCDW,KFWN,KMMU,KEWR,KSMQ,KLOJ,KKBL,KNEL,KPHK,KPBI,KBCT,KPMP,KFXE,KFLL,KOPF,KMIA,KTMB,KHST

If it doesn't, the the FAA for some reason is kicking it. But if it does, the next thing to check is that your RPi has is still able to reach the internet. So if you can ssh in and ping www.google.com and see if you get a response back that would be helpful. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@vancek)

@markyharris

Thanks!  I did test the request from my PC which is behind the same firewall and utilizing the same public IP and it worked fine.  I'm on a different LAN, but from the perspective of the FAA, it would be the same. 

Additionally, stopping and starting the script caused the same request to be made 30 seconds later, where it had been failing repeatedly every 10 seconds for hours (presumably). Internet to the PI is good as that is how I access it.  I'm behind the same firewall, but have no direct L3 connectivity through the firewall, so I utilize dataplicity to get to it.  So, even though I'm literally looking at the map from my desk, I access the Pi by going out to the cloud and reverse tunneling back into it.  

I'll work on getting some packet captures the next time it happens to see what's happening.  It's not outside the realm of possibility that something in our security stack is causing an issue.  But, that seems unlikely that a retry 30 seconds later due to just restarting the script would clear an issue with the aviationweather.gov site or our security stack.

Thanks!
Vance

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: