Visit this post for the fix

OLED mounting idea's

12 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
(@captain_ron)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm thinking of adding a few of the OLED's to my SF map, but I'm stuck on where to put it or how to mount it to make it look good. Any idea's? I didn't want to hang it below the map but with the input prongs poking out the back I might need to.

Bill
(@liveadmin)
Member Admin Registered

Hi Captin_Ron,

We have found the best way to embed this into a board is to get a PCB board and to solder all of the OLED's to the Multiplexer and then to a common output to run to power and to the pi.  I will be posting a video on this in the next couple of weeks along with creating a full step by step guide on the website for this.  This PCB board would be mounted on the back of your Sectional board with a notch cut through the sectional to allow the OLED's to be visible to the front of the map.  Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Bill

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Hi Captain,

I 3D printed a bezel, that also mounted the 5 OLED's I was using. Then soldered the OLED's with wires, without using a circuit board. I then drilled a hole through the bottom of the map, and mounted the multiplexer to the back of the map. It works, and it is a way to retro-fit a map with OLEDs.

I attached a zipped copy of the 5 OLED bezel to this message. If you need a different number of OLED's then I'd suggest onshape.com and designing what would work best for you. - Mark

5 oled back
5 oleds

ReplyQuote
(@mezmer3365)

Hey Mark- 

So I made the bezel for my Oleds but I am trying to see how you wired these so cleanly. I assume you daisy chained the power and ground.  Do you have a shot from the other direction. Also, did you use the ultraviolet glue to hold the in place?

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

I just checked, and that's the only picture I have of the back of that setup. However, but yes I daisy chained the power and ground. I then ran a separate pair of wires for SDA and SCL for each oled along with 1 pair for power and ground. I drilled a hole through the board and ran them to the multiplexer that I had built. This was mounted behind the board. I put the level converter and push buttons on this board too. The blue 2 lug component in the lower right corner was the input for the power supply. - Mark

multiplexer board 5 OLED

ReplyQuote
(@mezmer3365)

Hey Mark - In the bezel above, what did you use to hold the oled in place? Did you glue them? I am using the same one, and not sure how to secure them in there.

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

I hot glued the corners to the locating pins. The unit was then mounted to the board so the OLEDs were sandwiched between the board and the bezel. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@mezmer3365)

I also just noticed, did you put some kind of plastic or something over the back of the screens?

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Cellophane tape. I was being conservative so I wouldn't accidentally short something while I was playing with them. I did this early on in my playing with them. I'm not so sure that's really important, but its like chicken soup; 'It can't hurt'. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@captain_ron)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Mark,

In the pic of the OLED with the wires, did you cut the 4 pins down? I see yellow something at the ends, what is that? Did you solder the wires to the pins? If you daisy chained the power and ground how did you keep the size down as the spacing is tight.

I’m not the best at this electronics stuff, it’s been a while...

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

I took the pins that were there and bent them 90 degrees, then soldered the wires to those pins. I used heat shrink (yellow) to isolate each pin. Then I hot glued the wires together at the pins for strain relief. I did not daisy chain the power and grounds on this module. I wired all of them with 4 long wires then ran them through the board and connected them to the multiplexer board. (There is a picture of it up in this thread). The wires had female terminals on them that I connected to the terminals on the multiplexer board. I thought daisy chaining the power and grounds would have been too tough to do in that tight of space.

It was my first attempt at putting multiple OLED's together and it was crude but this module is still up and running. So it has been robust. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@captain_ron)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, cool. Thanks,

ReplyQuote
Share: