Notifications
Clear all

10/18/2023 Map Stopped Working?
Visit this post for the fix

Small airport that doesn't report weather, but as a home base?

11 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 RobK
(@robk)
Topic starter  

Bit of a late start for a Christmas gift

I may have missed it in my search, but how is something like this configured? Brother's hanger is in Spicewood Texas airport code K88R (88R). no METAR reports. Closest is KRYW - Lago Vista that reports METAR. Is it a place holder LED if it is undefined?

Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Hi Rob,

The best way to handle this is to mount the LED under K88R but in the web admin, put KRYW as its airport and then set this airport to your Home airport. This will brighten the LED under K88R and provide weather from the nearest airport that is reporting. Otherwise all you will see is Grey (or what ever color you decide should represent it). I've done this before and it is seamless. - Mark

ReplyQuote
 RobK
(@robk)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply.

Looking at it for the airport editor it looks like it does not care for multiples of the same airport codes and I can set one of the LED pins to be the K88R location but still have a KRYW LED also.

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

I tried duplicating an airport on one of my maps without issue. So I believe you shouldn't have a problem with this. But if you have more info about what is happening, pass it along and I'll be happy to look it over. - Mark

ReplyQuote
 RobK
(@robk)
Topic starter  

I ended up leaving it as undefined and just changed both the undefined and home color to be the same. After a bit of thinking on it I though best just to leave as is. Having it the same as Lago Vista did work, but the METAR weather color blink was a bit off for my liking with the home aqua color. Now I just need to figure out my frame as wiring is mostly done. The area below Galveston is where I may put the buttons and rotary switch.

Documentation and browsing the forum has been very helpful.

318798605 10159252018956446 4107275846603200352 n

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Rob, your map turned out great! Post a picture when you get it framed and hung. Thanks - Mark

ReplyQuote
 RobK
(@robk)
Topic starter  

Visited my brother in Texas over the holidays and updated his map. For some reason the web service was not working to download the config and airport info, But the SSH was working fine. I had a old backup for the airports so I just did a fresh install and added back the airport config. Picture of when it was finished in frame and after being hung on the wall with added knob and button panel in the ADIZ

zL2nfqQPTxW4BXDlIsP2Bg

QZ0878cSR0WwYLi33RPVZw

This post was modified 4 months ago by RobK

ReplyQuote
 RobK
(@robk)
Topic starter  

To those who maybe interested. I have uploaded the 3D print STL models for the map.

WS2812B Holder

LED Light Pipe

LED Sectional Chart Panel

Fusion 360 files are included also.

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Those are great! By chance do you have a picture of the finished map so we can see how it all looks together? Thanks for sharing them with us. - Mark

ReplyQuote
 RobK
(@robk)
Topic starter  

@markyharris Should be the post above unless it broke weird. Pictures readded

QZ0878cSR0WwYLi33RPVZw
zL2nfqQPTxW4BXDlIsP2Bg

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Very Nice! Great work. - Mark