10/18/2023 Map Stopped Working?
Visit this post for the fix

LED placement holder

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@flyinverted)
Topic starter  

I use these LEDS year round for various holiday displays, but the largest is Christmas displays. When I discovered this project I was estatic as I already had thousands of these LED 'pixels' and a several Raspberry Pi's  on hand. For a typical Christmas "Mega Tree", we use pixel strips to make each leg of the tree.

I used a thin version of the strip to hold each LED in the same position. If you look at one of the 'bullet pixels', there's a mounting notch as seen here:  

This is where I snapped the pixel strip into place and then stapled each one to the back of the thin plywood backing.

These strips are VERY inexpensive and can be purchased here: https://boscoyostudio.com/product/the-original-12mm-pixel-rgb-mounting-strips/

Closeup of them stapled in place:

This ensure each pixel is perfectly aligned on the Z axis and they're not going to move. No need for any glue. 

Also, there are many pixel vendors I work with that will do custom string lengths and distances. I can order 100 pixel strings with 6 inch spacing for about 25-30 dollars. PM me if that is reasonable. Sure makes sense not having to run null pixels because of the standard 4 inch spacing.

Also if you weren't aware, these pixels do come in a square form factor and that would allow us to use shallower frames.

Cheers!

Steve

Topic Tags
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Wow Steve, that's great information. I've never run into those locator strips. That will be very helpful. 

Are the custom length strings available to anyone, or do you have to be a client of sorts? Where would we go to explore those? - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@flyinverted)
Topic starter  

@markyharris My main go to guy for custom pixels is Daniel Zhang. Here is his FB account. https://www.facebook.com/daniel.zhang.9085

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Perfect. Thank you for that information. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@nickflightx)

Hey Steve, 

I am looking to get these holders for my build instead of using glue. Do you know how many come on a role? I need enough for 500 LEDs

ReplyQuote
Share: