10/18/2023 Map Stopped Working?
Visit this post for the fix

Errors with 3.1 during boot

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rojasj)
Topic starter  

Hi all, I am running into the following string of errors when booting using the 3.1 image on a pizero. I am not certain the lights are hooked up the right way yet (I am having trouble figuring out the direction of the data and which cable is which (the documentation on the Amazon page for these lights is awful ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AU6UG70/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). 

After this series of errors, the system appears to boot up normally. I am able to go to the web interface just fine (indicating that there's no network issues). Performing any changes to the lights doesn't actually take effect on the lights themselves, possibly because I might have them wired wrong. I am unsure if this error is because my wiring could be off. 

Thanks in advance!

IMG 7379

Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Hi, Sorry for the issues.

The errors you are getting have to do with the OLED display feature. So if you are not using the OLED display feature be sure to set 'Display Used' to 'No' under 'Basic Settings' of the web utility. Otherwise the software assumes you are using OLED displays and starts looking for them. And it can't find them therefore the error you are seeing.

If you are using OLED displays, then they are not wired properly. So let us know if you are trying to use them and we can discuss the proper wiring for them.

BTW: the data wire is the White one. And if you look carefully at one of the circuit boards in the LED, you should see an Arrow pointing in the direction that the data needs to travel. Take a look at the schematic, hopefully this will help. Let us know what happens. - Mark

LED Wiring1
14 LS Circuit with No Display Boardbb

ReplyQuote
(@rojasj)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @markyharris

If you are using OLED displays, then they are not wired properly. So let us know if you are trying to use them and we can discuss the proper wiring for them.

BTW: the data wire is the White one. And if you look carefully at one of the circuit boards in the LED, you should see an Arrow pointing in the direction that the data needs to travel. Take a look at the schematic, hopefully this will help. Let us know what happens. - Mark

LED Wiring1
14 LS Circuit with No Display Boardbb

Thanks for the quick reply Mark. 

I am not using OLEDs, so I will adjust that setting. 

I guess my confusion (which is only being caused by the Amazon seller andd their docs..) is that the white wire in my LEDs appears to be the Gnd. There appears to be differences between the image on the Amazon site, the reviews/comments/questions from users, and what the package delivered actually have. This is based on what the board on the LEDs says. Currently, that is how I have it wired, and it is powering up the lights. I just want to make sure that white should be the data wire before I hook it up that way. 

The reviews and comments on that Amazon LED link indicate that blue or green are the data wires, and that matches what the board on the LEDs say... On a related note, the image shows the absence of a Clock wire, but there is one on mine. So I am not sure if that could be what is screwing things up. 

Thanks again. 

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

The software was written for WS2811 string or WS2812 strip which only use 3 wires, +5v, Gnd and Data. If your string has a fourth wire for a Clock signal, then this software wasn't written for them. If you want, upload a picture of the string. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@rojasj)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @markyharris

The software was written for WS2811 string or WS2812 strip which only use 3 wires, +5v, Gnd and Data. If your string has a fourth wire for a Clock signal, then this software wasn't written for them. If you want, upload a picture of the string. - Mark

The Amazon LED link that's posted on the main site was the one I went with. I reached out to them and they said it was an error in sending the one with the Clock wire but that they don't have any without Clock.

Here's a picture of what the string actually looks like. 

Screenshot 2020 05 27 15.04.05

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

I'm sorry they sent you the wrong type. Here's a link to another source on Amazon. Here's a pic from that product page that shows the 3 wire setup along with the arrow showing the data direction. - Mark

WS2811pic1

ReplyQuote
(@rojasj)
Topic starter  

I purchased the other LED's and I will say that things are better, but running into couple more issues. 

With running with auto run on boot set to off, letting the Pi boot up, then hitting startup map: I get the rainbow effect like I presume I should, and then just the LEDs I have tied to airports (legend is off) light up. 

I have not changed the default colors, I have also turned off the blinking LEDs for the special conditions such as wind. The LEDs however run through green, red, blue, red, off, pink, etc. 

Here are the METARs for the airports I have set:

KDPA 291652Z 32012G17KT 10SM CLR 22/13 A2995 RMK AO2 SLP138 T02170133

KORD 291751Z 27012G18KT 10SM SCT037 23/11 A2994 RMK AO2 SLP134 T02280106 10228 20161 55001 $

KPWK 291752Z 32014G19KT 10SM CLR 24/12 A2995 RMK AO2 SLP140 T02390117 10239 20167 53002

KARR 291752Z 29011G19KT 10SM FEW043 SCT050 22/13 A2996 RMK AO2 SLP142 T02170133 10217 20156 50002

ReplyQuote
Share: