10/18/2023 Map Stopped Working?
Visit this post for the fix

Upgrading from EARLY version to Version 4

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@groner1661)
Topic starter  

Hello all, I hope someone might have some insight into this. I’m glad to see that the Live Sectional software has evolved so much! Many thanks to the developers! 

I built my map several years ago (and I think it was the first version) and it was worked flawlessly mounted on my wall, autonomously for years. 

I love the new look and features of Version 4 and I would like to switch the software. But I don’t want to mess up something that is working well. I didn’t see any instructions for updating such an older version of the software. It took me a long time to individually address all the LEDs and reference them to the correct airport on the front (some LEDs get skipped in the chain because they don’t reach the next hole so every airport is not sequential in numbering) and I’d like to be able to drop the new software in and have it work. Is this possible?

It might also be possible that starting over with the new software would take less time than writing this post, I just don’t know.

Also, I’d really like to adjust the brightness of the LEDs but I can’t remember which file to edit and the old documentation seems to be gone. That’s my main reason wanting to update.

any advice appreciated!

My chart is pictured below, I used an actual chart with “modge podge” so you still see some of the fold lines, it’s

9945E4A4 385D 4AD5 8699 C5F02EC4AF46

Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Hi, I'll be happy to help you upgrade. Use these steps and let me know what hiccups might arise and we'll figure it out.

• Start by getting a new SD Card so you can save the one you have. That way you can always go back to what you know is working.
  • Depending on the version you have, you may have access to a web admin page where you can download the config and airports files. If its a really old version then we need to copy those files from your original SD card so we can upload them to the new version. So copy those files to your computer for now. If you are not sure how to do this, let me know and we'll work through this. By getting these files, the setup of the new version will be much quicker since you already have the airports and settings configured.
  • Download the latest image at https://www.livesectional.com/downloads/ and write the image to the new SD card.
  • Insert the new SD card into your RPi and boot it up. If you have a monitor connected to the RPi you can watch the boot up process. Also, your IP address should not change, but it is possible and you will need the RPi's IP address. If you have a monitor connected to the RPi it will display the IP address for you, so make note of it. If you don't see the IP address, you can look it up through your wireless router's admin site.
  • Once the new image has booted up, use a web browser that is connected to the same wireless connection that the RPi is, and enter the IP address + ':5000' into the address bar. For instance; enter '192.168.68.121:5000' and press return. This should then present the admin home page.
  • From here pick the general layout of the map you have, I would guess it will be the first choice and hit submit. This will pre-populate the config file with general settings to start with.
  • Next, under the 'Settings' menu, select 'Editor'. When this page loads, use the 'Import Config' option in the upper right corner and select the config file you got from the original SD card. This will overwrite your settings to the generic one that was setup a moment ago. Be sure to use the 'Save Config File' menu item to save this new config file.
  • Next select 'Airports/Editor' menu item and repeat the import of your airports file you copied from the original SD card. This will then rebuild your airports file without having to go through the mapping as you did originally. Again, be sure to 'Save Airports File' menu item. 
  • The software will detect the changes in the file and restart the map for you automatically. But if you don't see what you believe you should then just reboot the RPi.
  • From here, you should be all done, but you can play with some of the other features like the Heat Map, or using the Home Airport feature etc.

Let me know how it goes, and if you have other questions. - Mark

ReplyQuote
Share: