Visit this post for the fix

OLED Refresh rate

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@captain_ron)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have the map on a 10 minute update but the OLED's seem to update about every 2 minutes. I thought they would only update when the map did and I don't see a setting for its cycle time. What's going on?

Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Ron, the script that runs the OLED's (metar-display-v4.py) uses the same setting that the LED script (metar-v4.py) uses for FAA update timing. So unless something really weird happened, I can't see how this could be the case. 

Tell me more about what you are seeing and I'll look at the code to be sure I didn't introduce an errant bug somehow. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@captain_ron)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

@markyharris About every 30 seconds I see the OLED's go blank left to right and then the the update time shown, then the OLEDS, update to all 8 screens. These 2 pics were taken mere seconds apart.

IMG 1135
IMG 1136

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Ron, so as to be sure we are both on the same page I want to go through the logic.

Based on your settings below, you will display only 5 airports that have the highest winds of the group that you have programmed. After these 5 are displayed it blanks the display, then displays the local and zulu time. Then it starts back up again with the 5 airports. It will show the last updated time at this point as well.

This will continue this way for the amount of time you have set in the Basic settings. So in your case this will continue for 10 minutes. Once the 10 minutes has elapsed, it will blank the screen and display the welcome message if its enabled while it goes back out to the FAA for updated weather. Then is will start over.

With only 5 airports displayed, it will blank often and display the time.

You can double check the 'Updated Time' displayed on the screen to see how long it takes for a new update to be displayed. It should increment by 10 minutes after an update. If this isn't what is happening, then please give me either a video or a description. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@captain_ron)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

@markyharris I think it’s working as you describe. I guess my expectation was for the display to be static for 10 minutes and then update along with the map.

Since I’m not using a switch to change what the OLED is showing it’d be nice to get rid of the “METARs Displayed” message as it’s really showing the winds, but that is obvious from each readout.

Ultimately as I’ve said before I’d like to have 4 exclusive airport winds showing and the other 4 being the highest on the map. Maybe on each update the update time could be displayed but then show as mentioned above is a better use of the screens unless a switch is used. Then it would be helpful to know what is being displayed I suppose, but the switch would be labeled so even that seems redundant.

For the one going to my club I would simply add a label saying that the winds could be up to 10 minutes old, I’m not looking for live winds. I think a fixed position for some makes it easier to get the info.

ReplyQuote
Share: