Visit this post for the fix

Change network and IP

20 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@eaton9999)
Topic starter  

Hello Mark,

My system was running on a network named "Linksys00376" w/ ip: 192.168.1.119 which is my main wireless (ip addr's unimportant). That network went down for a bit and I successfully "BerryLan"-ed  my system over to another network named "Netgear56" w/ ip: 10.0.0.10. Now, the first, preferred network of "Linksys00376" is back on line and I am trying to get my RPi to switch back to it [192.168.1.119 or any unused dynamic ip addr is ok]. Nothing seems to do the job. I tried turning off "Netgear56" and/or "Linksys00376" and the system hangs in limbo on start-up or thereafter if the network is terminated, until "Netgear56" is back on. When "Netgear56" is off I tried BerryLan which seems to find (stage #1) my RPi via BT but never gets past stage #2 looking for networks. It searches for networks forever. I even turned off all networks and tried BerryLan, still no luck. I even tried setting up a new never before seen/used network via Samsung S10+ cell data hotspot. BerryLan worked every time setting up a freshly imaged uSD card, and it did get me over to the "Netgear56" but can't get me back to "Linksys00376".

(Cool idea: just think - a 5VDC usb battery and a hotspot link via cell - you could have a portable map! - but I digress...) 

The RPi seems to be recognized by BerryLan as either "BT WLAN" or sometimes "LivesectionalV4". That I don't quite get. 

I have also "sudo Raspi-config-ed" and set the preferred "Linksys00376" and p/w but seems that gets  obfuscated during startup. I've also looked at some config files as sudo user w/ "nano" but don't find anything other than setting a static IP options which isn't what I want.

So, therefore short of searching through every file on the RPi, or burning a new uSD card and starting over I thought I'd ask the "Master" for advice. Making a new uSD card would of course work in the here and now at my home. But... I want to move the map to a friends house and am worried that short of a freshly imaged uSD card I won't be able to connect to her network.

I am obviously showing the limits of my RPi and Linux talent, which is slightly above high-level-moron wrt this, but knowledge is increasing daily. This is a project that has used many of my faculties, from case build, electronics and (new) software [platform and commands]. The latter is cool but over my head at the moment. Pls advise.

Thx,

Dave

Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Hi Dave,

Berrylan should easily allow you to switch between SSID's that it sees. If its a newly imaged SD card, then the RPI will continue to search for internet before it continues. But, as in your case you've set the WiFi up to one SSID and would like to switch, then reboot the RPI and then re-run Berrylan. The software will turn on the BlueTooth on the RPI for a short period of time (even if a Wifi source has already been setup) to allow you to reset the wifi. If after 3 minutes or so nothing changes, the RPI will turn off the BlueTooth.

I've tried this on my own boards, and it worked for me without too much trouble. I'd give that a try to see if you are successful. Let me know. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@eaton9999)
Topic starter  

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Seems that I've tried that but no go. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for confirming that it should work. I'll be watching carefully for operator error. 

BTW: Is there any doc or manual for BerryLan? 

-Dave

ReplyQuote
(@eaton9999)
Topic starter  

I just tried booting the RPi and running BerryLan. No Go again. Rebooted again with a fresh reinstall of BerryLan, found "LiveWxMap" via BT which is what I renamed the RPi on the network, but then stayed at the wireless search stage. Tried booting again and re-run BerryLan, found "BT WLAN" at BT then stuck on the wireless search again. Can't seem to get past the wireless search stage. What ID should the BerryLan be finding? "BT WLAN" or the device name like "LiveSectionalV4" or renamed as "LiveWxMap"? Is the rename an issue? I just did that for identification. I have the finished map and a test bed unit. 

I'll reinstall a new uSD card tomorrow and try it all again and report. In the meantime can I try to get into the code and reset the RPi to "forget" the SSID and or reset it manually to another SSID?

Thanks,

-Dave

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Here's the FAQ for Berrylan - http://www.berrylan.org/faq.html .

Everytime I've used Berrylan, I've only seen 'BT WLAN'. I've never seen any other name for the board. I have heard of other users having trouble on one platform (i.e. their phone) and switched to a tablet and it worked. Not sure why that would be the case.

You mentioned raspi-config. This is the manual way to do the same thing if you would like to try it. Sorry for the hassles. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@eaton9999)
Topic starter  

Mark,

Thanks for the info.

I've just tried again to change an existing SSID with BerryLan on a Samsung Galaxy S10+ phone, a Samsung TabE tablet and an iPad Mini3, each no go. Same issue as reported prior, hangs at SSID search. I then installed a fresh imaged uSD card. BerryLan took 2 start-up attempts to both find the RPi BT and then find the networks. That is not unusual from my experience. Once network configured via BerryLan success,  I again re-booted RPi and still no go on BerryLan use to change SSID. Indicates not an issue with previous image corrupted files or user ID:10T causes most likely. Signal strengths are a non-issue so I am at a loss w/ BerryLan. Thanks again for the help. 

Next and utmost, I wish to find a way to manually alter the RPi code files to accomplish an SSID change via keyboard. Assuming I don't have an extra image uSD copy available I'd like to be able to manage that on the fly, i.e.; at a friends place. Obviously I cannot rely ion BerryLan. I have used raspi-config to alter the SSID & p/w but on next boot the SSID stays the same as previous, no change as was made in raspi-config. Dunno why.

--> There must be data in another file that is getting used on boot to assign the "old" SSID. Can you tell me where to look for the file or code?

I might choose to: (I think...)

1) erase the current SSID so BerryLan might have a chance or

2) modify it for another dynamic SSID. or lastly

3) Change dhcpcd.conf creates a static IP, (but what about dynamic).

I'm searching the web for info as well, and trying not to rely on your generous aid and make this a time sink for you.

I'd like to move on to the next issue, OLED's not working. But that's later.

PS: On a positive note, I just installed a light sensor with success. Nice. Buttons and the sensor make a great addition! What a cool project!

Again, Thanks

-Dave

ReplyQuote
(@eaton9999)
Topic starter  

I've tried 1) changing netwoprk via raspi-config again and 2) and editing /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.config with the following:

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=US

network{

ssid="netgear23"

psk="password"

priority=1

id_str="office"

}

but no changes from the current ssid. (urgh! I'm trying)

-Dave

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Dave, you are venturing into territory that I'm completely unfamiliar with. Maybe my partner in crime, Bill might know more about this. We'll figure it out eventually. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@eaton9999)
Topic starter  

I still can't get BerryLan to provide any consistency and raspi config gets ignored on reboot.  There's got to be a file or hook I'm missing somewhere that can be modified for a new ssid and psk. The mods to wpa_supplicant haven't taken either.  If I have a keyboard and monitor There's got to be a solution.  Help?

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Dave, post a picture of the monitor after it boots up. It should show an IP address in green text. We'll start from the beginning to see what might be happening. - Mark

Edit - Adafruit has a nice article on this and I wonder if it might help; https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-raspberry-pi-lesson-3-network-setup/setting-up-wifi-with-occidentalis

ReplyQuote
(@eaton9999)
Topic starter  

Will do.

The address last was 192.168.1.140 and it is clear that's what the rpi has connected to on my network ssid and all worked fine for days.  The issue is really about changing that ip to another and or more specifically another ssid.  I.e., I brought my system to a friends today and had a hard time connecting to their ssid since the system was already configured once and looking for mine.  Once, BerryLan did find the rpi on BT and after several reboots of the rpi and BerryLan we did manage to find all ssid's , select one, add psk and connect. Frankly raspi- config was a lot simpler.  After a while we turned off the rpi for dinner.  Later it wouldn't respond again. I used her router admin on a laptop to locate it.  Turns out something else grabbed the ip address in the meantime, as unlikely as it is. We could not get BerryLan to connect so, prepared for such a problem,  I installed another pre imaged sdhc card I had brought and we got it all running again.  Just took another half hour and opening the frame/case etc.  Certainly in this situation a reserved dhcp or static ip would be in order.  However,  I could have solved the issue so so so much easier if raspi- config settings persisted or another way via terminal mode of Find MyPi (I think that's what the program is called) . Seems V3 vs. V4 lost the ability for raspi- config to work? Tomorrow I'll send start up pic.  However I  don't suspect any surprises.  Thanks again Mark.  Sorry this one is s problem.  I hope its not all operator error.  

- Dave

ReplyQuote
(@eaton9999)
Topic starter  

Here's a pic on the finished map. 

ReplyQuote
(@eaton9999)
Topic starter  
20200823 021003

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Wow, that's beautiful! Great job. I'm sorry for the issues. You mentioned that 'I hope its not all operator error'. In my world, I'm really hoping that it is, and not the software. 🙂

Interestingly, while I have had another person mention they have had trouble with Berrylan, you are the first to have a problem with persistence of the WiFi. I agree that setting a reserved IP would help ensure that nothing else gets the IP address. In fact I've done that for all my maps. 

None of the coding has anything to do with raspi-config and therefore wouldn't have any effect on the WiFi's persistence. Out of curiosity, what model Pi are you running? It shouldn't matter. I've personally tested the software on all models, except for the RPI 4, with no problems. As an aside, I've had a few hardware pieces fail over time, like the LED strip.

Will it be ok to post the picture of your map to our gallery? - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@eaton9999)
Topic starter  

Yes, of course, you have standing permission to post all photos I send unless otherwise stated. More will be coming. I am taking shots of much of my build process now that I am no longer in a complete "let's figure out how to do this mode" and some pics are reasonable quality.

---

I am using RPi ZeroW I think it's also V1.3 with +5VDC @ 4A supply. ~50 led's each, high bright level~200, No level shifter (not needed so far but have tested). All 3 buttons and Light sensor, no displays, no rotary switch. (LED or OCD's and rotary sw. are next to try.) Latest LiveSectional v4.3 s/w

---

I have now three active and virtually identical maps. One in my home and one in a friends home. Both work flawlessly. The friends for a couple weeks now with DHCP Reserve ip. Mine, Dynamic ip and, well It's subject to mods but other than the Wifi and BerryLan issues discussed prior all is A-OK. 

The third and most "beautiful" unit is in my friends flight school area at the airport. They LOVE IT. BUT! I cannot keep it working. I have ssid and p/w for the municipal building wireless but every so often ranging from minutes to hours to a day the map stops working and goes blank. I do not have access to the router settings. It's merely a wireless network I can access. Also looks like it has many extenders set up. Assuming something strange was happening with that network, I purchased a ATT cell phone with Hotspot capability and a cell line and set that up to feed the map via hotspot w/ 30Gb available/mo. Everything worked for several days but I just learned that the same thing has occurred today. The map went dark. Cycling power does not reset it. Remotely via the Cell providers website I can see the "map using nominal amounts of data" up until it is reported to have gone dark. Usually ~25kb each hour on updates but after going dark only 5Kb per hour. I am going on site tomorrow (1 hr drive) and will try to find out if the Hotspot is broken. I assume it must be but don't think it is. In experiments at home with Hotspot on my personal phone, even if I turn the Hotspot off and the map updates and goes dark, as soon as I turn the Hotspot back on the map comes to life. I'm at a loss. I'll set debug mode on the Airport map for more info but do you have any idea what is happening? The IP is dynamic but there's only the one map on that Hotspot Wireless and it is set to never turn off.

Incidentally, my friend, a CFII, has students and she has exclaimed "What a incredibly useful tool the map is". She has a/some student(s) that weren't grasping the "Weather conditions" concept and then after a short discussion in front of the LiveSectional map all became clear with an "A-ha" moment. I think it's akin to seeing the hands on a analog clock vs digital. You can see the big picture easily with analog. I love these projects. I just have to get that ONE running in a stable manner. It HAS TO BE the network/interface!

---

Big Q: What / where should I look to further investigate my alleged network issue and why the map goes dark?

Another question(s)?

Q1) Where do I mod to config for static IP? 

Q2) Can I also set config for multiple networks? My investigating has led me to solutions for these but - My efforts seem not to take on Q1 and Q2. 

Q3) If the network drops and then resumes and the RPi cannot get the same IP as prior, will it self recover - I think yes if SSID and PSK are the same. 

Q4) Are RPi 2,3,4 more stable in any way? Specifically wrt Wireless - I think not.

-Dave

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: