10/18/2023 Map Stopped Working?
Visit this post for the fix

Questions about initial setup

23 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@armand5000)
Topic starter  

Hi, I am a complete beginner with raspberry pi and projects like this but decided to try something that would usually be out of my comfort zone. Unfortunately I have already found myself stuck and before I toss in the towel I thought I reach out for some help. I ordered a canakit with raspberry pi v 4 model b. I setup the system with a key board and mouse and have it on a HDMI monitor. I loaded the 32gb mini usb that came with the kit in the raspberry pi and can get to the main operating system. I then was able to login to the wifi and set it up with my local settings. This allowed it to update the raspberry pi. I then took the 32gb usb out and put it in my Mac.  I downloaded LiveSectionalV4_360.img and the balenaEtcher software. I opened the balenaEtcher software and selected the LiveSectionalV4_360.img as the flash from file and the 32 usb USB as the target and hit flash. I then got the usb out of the Mac and back in the raspberry pi when completed, but this is where I get stuck. 

20210206 234239

This is what now shows up when I put the 32gb usb back in the raspberry pi. I downloaded the BerryLan App but can't find BT WLAN setup in the list. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Armand 

Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Hi Armand,

Sorry for the hassles. I know my partner Bill has installed this on a RPi4 successfully but I've not tried it. Also, you mentioned that you are putting the image on a USB rather than an MicroSD card that gets installed under the board. If that's the case, I wonder if that's why you are having these problems. I've never tried using a USB to run/boot an RPi.

So if in fact you are using a USB, please use a MicroSD card and put it into the slot (see pic). If you do this and you still have problems, then we'll have to look at what might have changed on the RPi4. Please let us know. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@armand5000)
Topic starter  

@markyharris Hey Mark, thanks for the quick reply. I misspoke when I said I put in on the usb. I meant to say I put it on the 32gb mini sd by putting the card in the USB adapter for my Mac to install the software in the 32gb mini sd card. The 32gb mini sd card is back in the RPi4.

Armand

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Hmm, ok. We'll have to check out installing it on a RPI4. If you have any other pics of the errors you are receiving, please post them. - Mark

ReplyQuote
 Bill
(@liveadmin)
Member Admin Registered

@armand5000 Here is a quick video I threw together about the basic setup on a RPI4B https://youtu.be/MkRgvtjHRGU  Does this help out?

Thanks,

Bill

ReplyQuote
(@armand5000)
Topic starter  

Hey Bill, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm still getting the same error message. I attached a video so you can see the steps I'm taking.

Armand

20210206 234239

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Armand, I came across this thread on another forum; https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=282764

I'll get with Bill and we'll update the current image and send you a link to it to try. I'm hoping that the current image is just a bit older and the new RPi is needing the very latest. So more to come. - Mark

ReplyQuote
 Bill
(@liveadmin)
Member Admin Registered

@armand5000 Here is a link to an updated image we hope will resolve this issue. Can you download it and see if it works for you?  Let us know how it goes and we will get this out as the latest official release.  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n8TwBC8qt2Kwj8TlVUVGMi4ppeTzXzeH/view?usp=sharing

Thanks,

Bill

ReplyQuote
(@armand5000)
Topic starter  

@liveadmin

Hey Bill, Thanks for the new download file. I get this message when I put the new file in the Pi

20210210 204739

but I am able to use the BerryLan App to connect and get a IP address but when I put the ip with the "10.0.X.XXX:5000" nothing happens.

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Armand, the error is telling you that the library that runs the LEDs is not liking your string for some reason. This is usually caused because the wrong model of LED's is connected. Send a pic of the LED string or send a link to where you purchased the string so we can look at the model number.

For instance, there are models of strings that use 4 wires. These won't work. There are also strings that use 12v and these won't work either. This software can accommodate these models, WS2812 strip or WS2811 string. So let us know what you are using. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@armand5000)
Topic starter  

Hey Mark, I got the new leds and this is the setup I have but I'm still stuck. I tried to follow some of the old diagram but its a little different with the pi 4 b. I can still connect with the Berrylan app but once I get there I'm stuck.

Screen Shot 2021 02 14 at 5.02.54 PM
Screen Shot 2021 02 14 at 5.03.02 PM
Screen Shot 2021 02 14 at 5.03.10 PM
Screen Shot 2021 02 14 at 5.03.25 PM
20210214 170645
This post was modified 3 years ago by Armand5000

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Armand,

I have a few concerns about the setup. First, it looks like you are using a string of LED's that use 4 wires; pwr, grnd, clock, signal. If that is in fact what I'm seeing then you are using the wrong LED's. Your pictures weren't clear enough for me to know for sure. So if you are using the 3 wire LED's then that's good. So let me know.

Second; The breadboard wiring doesn't seem to make the proper connections. 

Firstly, it looks like you are not connected to the proper terminals on the RPI. Look at the attached schematic and verify that the RPi is connected properly. Secondly, I didn't see a level converter (or diode) to correct the voltage for the LED string. You'll need this. Then finally, it doesn't look like (from the pictures) that power and ground are correctly connected on your breadboard.

So take a look at the schematic and double check things. Let us know. We are here to help. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@captain_ron)
Estimable Member

Please allow me to point out some specifics, I'm not contradicting Mark at all.

The (black and red) power and ground wires, move them to the other row. that won't fix everything but you have 2 white wires plugged into the GND row, but there's no connection to GND. You also have nothing grabbing power from the + row. Finally the orange wire is doing nothing right now. 

The GND and + rows are connected the length of the bread board, and the 2 sections of 5 columns are connected vertically to allow up to 5 things to be connected together.

ReplyQuote
(@armand5000)
Topic starter  
IMG 0474

Hey Guys, Thanks for the replies. If y'all are in Texas I hope the freeze didn't get y'all too bad. We lost power and water for 3 days but thank goodness were finally getting back to normal. Im Still getting the same message on the Pi. I rewired the Pi like the diagram mark sent in the message. I have a question though. It looks like you have 2 bread boards, do I need 2 for this to work? I added the level convertor but am waiting for the diode to arrive still. Could this be the reason the Pi gives the same runtime error? I also got the light sensor in today and tried it both with and with out it to see if it made a difference. I attached both wiring photos below.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Armand5000

ReplyQuote
(@armand5000)
Topic starter  
IMG 0478
IMG 0477
IMG 0479
IMG 0473
IMG 0472
IMG 0474
IMG 0471
IMG 0475