Visit this post for the fix

Scrambled OLED display

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@captain_ron)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My map has sat for a year and had a set of wires broken off the multiplexer. After soldering them back on the display is still scrambled. The words for OLED is the first one next to the last OLED that is scrambled of #3 as they count form Zero.

The map is working fine and all the wires seem connected so I'm not sure what I need to fix. I have a 4 piece connector that came off one of the OLED's that is scrambled so I suppose one of those is damaged? 

Any thoughts?

IMG 5294
IMG 5295

Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Ron,

First thing to check is that the number of OLED's being used is properly set in the Settings. I say this because it looks like the 4th one is blank while the first 3 are scrambled. So if the settings say '4' but the 4th OLED is bad, or disconnected, then this could be the issue. You can change the setting to 3 and see if the first three start to display properly.  Check that and let me know. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@captain_ron)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

This map was working perfecting a year a go with 8 OLED's. But I tried setting it to 3 and there was no change. When I use the Shutdown RPI in the utilities menu the map shuts down but the first 3 OLED's stay lit up and scrambled.

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Ron, then there has to be an error in the wiring or the OLED units themselves are bad. I have accidently damaged OLED's by cracking the very corners of the glass that are not protected which caused a scrambling effect. So take a look a the the glass carefully. If you don't see any issues there, then double check the wiring to the multiplexer.

If you don't see any issues there, then bypass the multiplexer altogether and hook 1 OLED up to the RPi at a time and test it. Be sure to set the Settings to 1 OLED. Here's the schematic using 1 OLED, so you can follow it to test each one individually. Let me know what you find. - Mark

ReplyQuote
Share: