Visit this post for the fix

Display whole METAR on display

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@shelbykitcar)
Topic starter  

Hello-

I was wondering if it would be possible to display the entire METAR on a display similar to this website's version?

Whole Metar on OLED

Also, I'd like to just use 2-4 total OLED's and use them to scroll among some local airport overall.  So say each display would have (4) airports each and rotate among them.  This would be great in conjuction with the above thought.

Thanks for your help!

-Patrick

Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

I'm not sure what it would take. I'd have to look at the code. Are you just wanting 1 OLED with 1 airport displayed all the time, or multiple OLEDS?

I'm guessing setting up for 1 OLED with 1 airport wouldn't be too tough, but I'd have to look. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@shelbykitcar)
Topic starter  

Ideally, I'd love multiple airports that could scroll.  One airport at a time, just scrolling among the various METAR's of the chosen airports similar to the way it's currently allowed.

However, just one would be cool too.  If it's too much, I can just use the code as it's written.  I don't see a lot of pictures or videos in how that looks when working.  Does it just display the METAR data across multiple displays currently?

Thanks for your help!

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

You'll want to use the code as is for now. I like your idea and will add it to the list of features to add. But it won't happen overnight.

Currently the OLEDs display the airport name and winds. No other metar data is listed on the OLEDs. The wind direction can be displayed numerically or using arrows like a compass to show the direction. The video on this page will show you an example of how the displays work when the arrows are used; https://www.livesectional.com/oled-displays-add-on/

If you are handy with python, then you can edit metar-display-v4.py to do what you would like. If you do this, please send me your version so I can play with it. - Mark

ReplyQuote
(@shelbykitcar)
Topic starter  

Sounds great.  I appreciate it.  I'm not too handy with Python, but I'll take a look at the code and see what I can do.  It's a cool look, and would be a nice feature to your already impressive code I must say.  I'm currently working on one similar to the 1800+ LED that has been done already, so this should be a fun project.  I'd like to make one for my CFII as well, if I can make it well enough.  I have my IR checkride at the end of this month, so it would be a long project as a fun gift sometime next year most likely.  No matter, happy flying!  -Patrick

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Thanks Patrick. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll do my best to help. - Mark

ReplyQuote
Share: