10/18/2023 Map Stopped Working?
Visit this post for the fix

Raspberry Pi 4B Won't Connect

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@dsorn)
Topic starter  

Hey there.  I'm a total newbie to the RPI and this project is the first time I've ever worked with one.  I went ahead and downloaded the image from the site here put it onto an SD card.  Then, as per the instructions I booted up and waited for BerryLan to find it and let me configure it.  It never did.  I ended up hooking it up to a screen and and during boot it would just quit loading and tell me there was no internet and to run raspi-config to setup my wifi.  So I did.  And it gave me the same error again after rebooting.  So I did it again.  And again...with the same results.  I read around here that the Pi4 seemed to have intermittent issues, which made me hopeful I could fix it somehow.  After spending several hours, I accidentally fixed it.  So, if you run into this same issue, here's what worked for me.

1. Download and install Raspberry Pi OS as per this guide - https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/raspberry-pi-headless-setup-how-to,6028.html

You don't have to do the VNC part at the end unless you want to, you just need to be able to successfully SSH into the RPI.

2. Once logged in, run the following 2 commands:

- sudo rpi-update

- sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y  (this also updates the OS which doesn't matter, but it's what I did)

After that, you'll need to restart the pi.

Next, I went ahead and put the Live Sectional image back on and booted up.  This time, the BerryLan picked up the PI, let me put in my wifi info and I was off to the races.  Everything works like a champ.

So based on this, I'm guessing the 'intermittant' issues are due to a out of date firmware or something.  Not totally sure, like I said, this is new to me, but I just wanted to share what worked for me.

Topic Tags
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

That's a great catch. We have been fighting that issue. And your description makes perfect sense. Thank you for documenting this here. - Mark

ReplyQuote
Share: