10/18/2023 Map Stopped Working?
Visit this post for the fix

METAR not displaying for airports

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@amil94)
Topic starter  

Hello, I recently got my map running for the first time. I’m having an issue getting all of the airports to display the METAR data. I can see the airports are reporting data from the airport editor page. However, about half of my LED’s aren’t displaying the data. Ill attach a few log files as well as a picture.

(@amil94)
Topic starter  
2A3286F3 1C1A 4872 89BE 64E1C620E6E0
2D6E05A5 9953 4634 95E8 4BA7B08929CF

ReplyQuote
Mark Harris
(@markyharris)
Member Admin Registered

Hi,

Due to the way the FAA has setup their METAR API, 2 different FAA products were used. One for the LED's and one for the Airport Editor. So, at least to a point, that explains why you see a difference between these two screens.

However, it does seem odd that there are that many of your airports not reporting weather. I looked at your latest logfile and at the bottom of the logfile, you will see this line;

https://www.aviationweather.gov/adds/dataserver_current/httpparam?dataSource=tafs&requestType=retrieve&format=xml&mostRecentForEachStation=constraint&hoursBeforeNow=2.5&stationString=KCKC,KELO,KCQM,KINL,KBDE,KROX,KHCO,KGFK,KTVF,KBJI,KGPZ,KEVM,KDLH,KMZH,KBRD,KPKD,KDTL,KFAR,KFFM,KAXM,KMDX,KMVE,KRWF,KLJK,KSTC,KMSP,KANE,KRZN,KEFM,KLSE,KRST,KAEL,KMKT,KFRM,KOTG,KFSD 

This is the URL that is being sent to aviationweather.gov to get the data to display on the LED's. If you look at it, find '?dataSource=tafs' you will see that you are requesting 'TAFs' not 'METARs'. And as you know not all airports report TAF weather data. So the question is why is it pulling TAF's.

There are 2 reasons this could happen. First is that in your settings you are setup for TAF's. Go to the 'Settings Editor' and look under 'Basic Settings' for 'Default Data to Display'. 'METAR' should be selected. If you see 'TAF' there then that's what's being pulled and displayed. Change it to 'METAR' and then save the settings. 

The second reason, and the one I believe is causing your issue is that you have either installed a rotary switch so you can select the weather product to display (METAR, TAF, MOS, Heat Map) and the rotary switch is currently in position 5 or GPIO 16 (pin 36) is grounded for some reason. This is the pin that if grounded tells the software to display TAF data 8 hours out. 

Your logfile shows that this is what is happening;

[I 210819 11:05:49 metar-v4:1365] Switch in position 5. Breaking out of loop for MOS/TAF + 8 hours

Normally, if there is no rotary switch is being used, the log file would say something to the effect 'No Rotary Switch Detected...'

So take a look at the wiring, and be sure that pin isn't accidently grounded somehow. Below is a pic that should help diagnose. Also, refer to www.pinout.xyz to get the pin numbers you may need to find. Let us know what happens. - Mark

ReplyQuote
Share: